Diploma in Health Laboratory Science
The establishment of a Diploma programme in Health Laboratory Sciences at KCMU College is intended to raise the number of well trained Laboratory Technologists that are in great demand to fill in various positions at the different levels of public health care and research system.
The graduates are expected to be competent enough for starting and running private laboratory services to complement the efforts of the government to provide quality laboratory services all over the country. As a side benefit, the programme will produce graduates who are potential applicants to enroll for BSc in Health Laboratory Science Programmes that are currently being conducted at the KCMU College and MUHAS.
The course shall be conducted on a semester basis. There will be two semesters for each academic year. The subjects to be studied shall be divided into introductory subjects, which will be taught during the 1st year, while principal subjects will be taught during the 2nd year and 3rd years.
D uring the third year the student will do a fieldwork attachment to a Zonal or Regional reference laboratory and write a report.
There will be departmental rotations covering the principal subjects of microbiology and immunology, biochemistry, hematology, blood transfusion, parasitology and psychopathology during the second and third years
All courses are taught in English. Therefore it is imperative that students are proficient in reading, writing and speaking English. It is upon the candidate to satisfy oneself that he/she meets this important requirement and provides evidence thereof (e.g. TOEFL iBTTM score of 65 and above or equivalent) registering for any course at this college.
- O rdinary Level Secondary Education Certificate with three credits or five passes in biology, chemistry and physics/mathematics.
- Advanced level Secondary School Education certificate with at least two principals in biology, chemistry and physics or mathematics
- Ordinary Level Secondary Education Certificate with one credit s and two passes in biology, chemistry and physics/ mathematics.
- Advanced level Secondary School Education certificate with at least one principals in biology, chemistry and physics/mathematics
- A certificate in Medical Laboratory Technology passed at B-level from an approved and recognized institution by TCU or NACTE