The introduction of an undergraduate course for health laboratory scientists into our health care system aims at developing good practical, analytical and transferable skills applicable to a wide range of employment opportunities such as pharmaceutical research, pathology, and diagnosis as well as clinical trials. This will greatly improve the quality of laboratory services both medical and research oriented.
This course aspires to educate qualified, responsible and reflective professionals for work in health laboratories. The graduates of this course will be in a position of specialization in health laboratory sciences combined with the ability to work independently hence having a great input in the current health laboratory system in our country.
- To work effectively as an individual and as a member of a team
- To exercise leadership, initiative responsibilities
- To appreciate the role of science in society and the ethical issues it raises
- To design, evaluate and implement new methods/protocols
- To acquire an in-depth knowledge of scientific methods and principles.
- To participate in continuing professional development
- To contribute to the stewardship of the profession
The e-course is divided into introductory subjects taught in year 1 and principal subjects taught in year 2. Year 3 is devoted to research with the production of a dissertation and laboratory / industrial attachments
Three principal passes in Physics, Chemistry, and Biology with minimum entry of 6 points. Whereby one must have at least C grade in Chemistry and at least D grade in Biology and E grade in Physics
All equivalent applicants may apply for the above programmes if they meet the requirements stated below:
- Certificate of Secondary Education Examination (CSEE) with at least Five (5) passes including two credit passes in Chemistry and Biology and a D grade in Physics PLUS appropriate Diploma or Advanced Diploma with an average of “B+’’ or GPA of 3.5
BSc (lower second) majoring in Physics/Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology /Zoology.