BSc in Health Laboratory Science
The introduction of an undergraduate course for health laboratory scientists into our health care system aims at developing good practical, analytical and transferable skills applicable to a wide range of employment opportunities such as pharmaceutical research, pathology and diagnosis as well as clinical trials. This will greatly improve the quality of laboratory services both medical and research oriented.
This course aspires to educate qualified, responsible and reflective professionals for work in health laboratories. The graduates of this course will be in a position of specialization in health laboratory sciences combined with the ability to work independently hence having a great input in the current health laboratory system in our country.
- To work effectively as an individual andas a member of a team
- To exercise leadership, initiative responsibilities
- To appreciate the role of science in society and the ethical issues it raises
- To design, evaluate and implement new methods/protocols
- To acquire an in-depth knowledge of scientific methods and principles.
- To participate in continuing professional development
- To contribute to stewardship of the profession
Th e course is divided into introductory subjects taught in year 1 and principal subjects taught in year 2. Year 3 is devoted to research with production of a dissertation and laboratory / industrial attachments
All courses are taught in English. Therefore it is imperative that students are proficient in reading, writing and speaking English. It is upon the candidate to satisfy oneself that he/she meets this important requirement and provides evidence thereof (e.g. TOEFL iBTTM score of 65 and above or equivalent) registering for any course at this college
- O rdinary Level Secondary Education Certificate with three credits or five passes in biology, chemistry and physics/mathematics.
- Advanced level Secondary School Education certificate with at least two principals and a subsidiary and a minimum point aggregate of 4.5 in biology, chemistry and physics/mathematics. A pass in biology is a must.
- Preference will be given to applicants who have completed “A” level within the past 3 years.
- Ordinary Level Secondary Education Certificate with three credits or five passes in biology, chemistry and physics/mathematics.
- Advanced level Secondary School Education certificate with at least two principals in biology, chemistry and physics/mathematics.
- A Diploma in Medical Laboratory Technology passed at B-level or above from an approved and recognized institution by TCU or NACTE.
- At least two years continuous working experience in a health laboratory at District level or above
- Preference will be given to applicants who have qualified within the past 5 years