Diploma Occupational Therapy
This course is administratively part of the Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine at the Kilimanjaro Christian Medical College of Tumaini University and Ministry of Health and Social Welfare providing staffs and student’s sponsorship. The school was set up under the auspices of the Tanzania Ministry of Health and social Welfare, WHO, Good Samaritan Foundation (GSF), DSE, APSO, Skill share International and VSO in 1998.
Occupational Therapy helps people with disabilities to regain independence. Occupational therapists are health professionals who provide skills and practical solutions for people who have physical or mental disability which is either short term or long term.
This is a three years diploma course which consists of theoretical and practical training. KCMU College provides academic supervision and awards while the Ministry provides staff support.
It aims at qualifying Occupational Therapists who will appreciate the social, psychological and physiological effects of disability by providing the intervention based on sound theoretical principles and models of the profession. Graduates will be competent communicators and motivators for continual profession development.
Subjects covered during the 3 years include: anatomy and physiology, kinesiology, sociology, psychology, primary health care, clinical sciences, occupational therapy process and foundation, adaptive technology, occupational therapy applied to psychiatry, physical disabilities, pediatrics community care., practical media skills, computer skills, research, administration, management and field work
All courses are taught in English. Therefore it is imperative that students are proficient in reading, writing and speaking English. It is upon the candidate to satisfy oneself that he/she meets this important requirement and provides evidence thereof (e.g. TOEFL iBTTM score of 65 and above or equivalent) registering for any course at this college
- Ordinary Level Secondary Education Certificate with three credits or five passes in biology, chemistry and physics/mathematics. Preference will be given to candidates with a biology credit.
- Advanced level Secondary School Education certificate with at least two principals in biology, chemistry and physics/mathematics.
- Ordinary Level Secondary Education Certificate with one credit and two passes in biology, chemistry and physics/ mathematics.
- Advanced level Secondary School Education certificate with at least one principals in biology, chemistry and physics/mathematics.
- A certificate in Allied Health Science professions such as in Nursing, Laboratory Assistants, Radiographers, Health Records, Nutrition, and Rehabilitation Assistants passed at B-level from an approved and recognized institution by TCU or NACTE.