Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre is located in the foothills of the snow capped, Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania. It was opened in March 1971 by the Good Samaritan Foundation, who planned and raised large funds to build and equip it. KCMC is a referral hospital for over 15 million people in Northern Tanzania. The hospital is a huge complex with 500-800 inpatients in 630 official beds, 90 canvas, 40 baby Incubators, 1852 students, 1300 staff and 1000 visitors and companions daily.
A referral hospital excelling in quality service, training and research
To provide accessible, affordable and high quality health care services
Soon after Independence of Tanganyika from British rule, the Government called on the protestant Churches in the Country to establish a referral and teaching hospital in the Northern zone of the country. Under the leadership of the Right Reverend Stefano R. Moshi, Bishop of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in Tanganyika, Good Samaritan Foundation (GSF) was established as a corporate body and registered in Tanganyika in 1961, with Bishop Stefano Moshi as its first Chairman.
GSF planned for the construction of the Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre (KCMC) and raised large funds from overseas partners to build and equip the hospital.
Therefore, the idea to build Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre (KCMC) was born 1961, with capital funds assured from Luther Hjalpen of Sweden , Central Agency and Bread for the World of Germany, coupled with an anonymous Christian donation of USD $209,000.00 from Texas, USA. Site work began in April 1965. The cornerstone for the hospital was laid by the first President of Tanzania, Julius K. Nyerere, on 8th June 1965.
The project was an integral and essential part of the Tanzania Government’s 5-Year Medical Plan. The Government agreed to contribute annually towards its basic operating costs. In the overall plan of 1965 there was provision for development, at a later stage of full Medical School.
Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre is one among the four Zonal Consultant hospitals in Tanzania. It was formally established in 1971 as a Zonal Referral Consultant hospital owned by the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Tanzania (ELCT) under the Good Samaritan Foundation (GSF). The aim was to create an independent legal body which nevertheless is to be permanently linked to the ELCT and Christian Council of Tanganyika. The immediate purpose of the foundation was to be a body capable of establishing the Kilimanjaro Christian Medical Centre. The referral hospital was established in order to serve the northern, eastern and central zone of Tanzania. Its record in Medical Services, Research, and Education has significant influence in East Africa and beyond.