To train suitable candidates to become competent, skilled, and knowledgeable in General Surgical diseases and conditions making them able to work independently as specialists anywhere in and out of the country.
Graduate in MMed General Surgery is expected to be able to work independently as a specialist in General Surgery with an understanding of the scientific basis of General Surgical disease and have the knowledge, skills, attitude and ethics, related to the profession.
Exit levels available with respect to UQF description
(e.g. Higher Certificate, Higher Diploma, Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma, and M.Phil. etc. depending on the level of qualification. Refer to UQF table 2).
There will be only one final exit in this programme. The candidate will exit at UQF 9 and will be awarded an MMed General Surgery degree, after passing all prescribed courses. The MMed will be conferred to candidates who meet all the KCMU-co of the Tumaini University Makumira requirements in not more than 5 years after their admission to MMed General Surgery programme.
Programme expected learning outcomes and its associated teaching/learning activities and assessment criteria
(learning outcomes should include knowledge, skills and competences as per UQF level descriptions. Refer to UQF table 4)
On completion of the training, the graduate with the degree of Master in General Surgery is expected to be able to work as a specialist in the field of general surgery, with an understanding of the scientific basis of surgical disease, the scientific basis of clinical surgical practice and have the knowledge, skills, attitude, and ethics associated with the profession.
At the end of this course, residents will be able to;
- Demonstrate understanding of basic sciences relevant to general surgery (i.e anatomy, physiology, pathology, microbiology, pharmacology)
- Describe causes, pathophysiology, principle diagnosis, management, and prevention of surgical conditions (electives and emergencies)
- Identify social, economic, environmental, and emotional factors, and consider them in the operative and nonoperative management plan of each given surgical case
- Undertake audit, use information technology tools and carry out research, both basic and clinical, with the aim of publishing and presenting the work at various scientific flora.
- Demonstrate competency in the teaching of undergraduate medical students
and other allied health cadres
- Demonstrate high professional & ethical standards in the course of his
professional medical practice in General Surgery
- Demonstrate leadership and competency in General Surgery and other related medical fields.
- Manage competently General Surgical conditions and some other common conditions in the fields of paediatric surgery, neurosurgery, cardiothoracic surgery, vascular surgery and reconstructive surgery
- Apply scientific knowledge of anatomy, physiology, pathology and
biochemistry relevant to general surgical patients.
- Design and conduct clinical medical research competently relevant to General Surgical patients.