E-learning exploits interactive technologies and communication systems to improve the learning experience. E-learning is termed as a network-enabled transfer of skills and knowledge and the delivery of education is made to a large number of recipients at the same or different time.
At KCMUCo, Directorate of ICT has a unit known as E-Learning and E-Resource, which administers all the e-learning activities at the institution.
There are different Learning systems utilised at KCMUCo;
LEO is a full-featured education management system designed to simplify the delivery of the complex medical curriculum. Leo is the new adopted name of the platform after the re-branding of the company name from LCMS+ to now Davinci
This system was adopted at KCMUCo in 2011 as LCMS+ from Duke University School of Medicine (DUSOM) with the aim of having a very robust system that would be easy to maintain, well understood, readily available and most important the system that is designed to simplify the delivery of a complex medical curriculum. LEO is equipped with automated, personalized alerts to help make students and faculty aware of issues needing attention.
It’s implementation started effectively in 2011 with 150 medical students, five faculty members and one specialist. The number kept on increasing annually; now in the academic year 2018/2019, there are a total number of 1,142 students from different faculties, 61 faculty members and 2 specialists to maintain the system.
Implementation of a Learning Management System for Medical Students: A Case Study of Kilimanjaro Christian Medical University College – https://www.
Association Between E-learning System Usage and Medical Student Academic Performance at the Kilimanjaro Christian Medical University College in Moshi, Tanzania – https://www.
Introduction of a Learning Management System at the Kilimanjaro Christian Medical University College – http://www.ajhpe.org.
Modernizing and Transforming Medical Education at the Kilimanjaro Christian Medical University College – https://www.ncbi.nlm.
- Teaching and Learning Experiences in Medical Education During the COVID-19 Pandemic: The Case of Kilimanjaro Christian Medical University College (KCMUCo), Tanzania – https://jl4d.org/
A Systems Approach to Implementation of eLearning in Medical EducationFive MEPI Schools’ Journeys – https://pubmed.ncbi.
WHY LEO AT KCMUCo:
- A smooth process:
- All communications with students (including feedback on assignments and grades) are in one location.
- Reduced paper work.
- Adding, removing, storing, and deleting course materials within the course space instead of in multiple locations.
- Better grading:
- Electronic grade book allows students to have timely feedback
- Grade book can be accessed anywhere there is an Internet connection.
- Increased student engagement:
- Students have 24/7 accesses to posted resources, announcements, grades, etc.
- Students can email from within the course space to fellow classmates.
- Students can view current information, such as links to websites, articles, videos and other resources.
Inside view of LCMS+ / LEO
MOODLE-MODULAR OBJECT ORIENTED DYNAMIC LEARNING ENVIRONMENT
Moodle is an open source learning platform designed to provide educators, administrators and learners a secure and integrated system to create personalized learning environment. KCMUCo adopted Moodle in 2014.
The Use of Moodle as an Online Examination System at KCMUCo
Moodle has proven to be a successful system of deploying secured online examinations and it has been adopted and utilised as a back up system, for hosting online examinations at KCMUco.
Why use Moodle for online Exams
- Reliability and Accessibility-exam can be done anytime from any where
- Safety and Privacy-only authorized and authenticated users can access the exam
- Secure exam environment
- IP-restricted –Only Certain Identified computers will be able to access the exam
- Each Exam has unique password
- Time-based release of each exam results
- Exam can be automatically re-graded for the entire class if a mistake is discovered in a question or more possible answers are added to the system
- During the allowed test time, students can review answers
- Allowed more than one attempt during exam period in case of any technical problem.eg power, hardware problem
This is an e-learning platform with an accumulation of different videos, articles and quizzes for different topics from different medical disciplines such as Anatomy, Internal Medicine, Surgery etc. It was founded in 2008 in Berlin and is made up of people with very diverse backgrounds, but one common goal: to simplify and optimize online medical education and enable all users to reach their full potential. KCMUCo is fortunate enough to have access to this well-equipped platform from mid-2019.
WHY USING LECTURIO:
- Users are able to access vast variety of high-quality medical video lectures in a simple and smooth way
- Users can test their knowledge and assess their learning progress by answering interactive quiz questions, which are more than 5,000 questions.
- The system is very flexible all the contents can be accessed on smartphones and tablets.
- Lecturio’s platform and learning content complement the learning needs of every medical student and make the learning process comfortable
- Lecturio facilitates digital learning, which is a new age of learning methodology and a way to go for KCMUCo
- It enables students to grasp concepts quickly at their own pace, which in turn connects theoretical and practical learning more easily