THE GOOD SAMARITAN FOUNDATION OF TANZANIA
Non-profit Corporation dedicated to the improvement of Medical Care in Africa
FOUNDERS AND OWNERS OF KILIMANJARO CHRISTIAN MEDICAL CENTRE
GSF Hostels Rules
Hostel accommodation is provided with the understanding that the resident student will strictly abide by the Hostel Rules currently in force or as may be enforced from time to time. Accommodation in the Hostel cannot be claimed as a matter of right. The GSF Administration may refuse accommodation to any student who is known to have grossly violated the Hostel Rules or whose presence is likely to disturb the peace and tranquility of the hostel. Violation of hostel rules will make the student liable to disciplinary action including permanent expulsion from the hostels. Students must remember that hostel is the home of the student on the campus and therefore, he/she should behave on the campus as well as outside in such a manner as to bring credit to him/her and to the Institution. A student once admitted to the hostel will continue to be a hostel resident throughout the year unless otherwise debarred from the hostel on disciplinary grounds and he/she will have to pay the room rent for both the terms. Every student must be acquainted with all the rules and regulations of the Hostel. He / She must observe them strictly. Ignorance of rules will not be considered as an excuse.
- Every student should stay in the room allotted to him/her. Mutual exchange of rooms after final allotment is not allowed. However, only the Chief Warden may allow as a special case on valid and reasonable ground. Violation of this rule will be considered an act of gross misconduct and entail appropriate disciplinary action including expulsion from Hostel and imposition of heavy fine.
- GSF reserves the rights to reallocate residents even after the allocation of rooms provided that prior notification given to the student.
- Residents must look up the Hostel Notice Board regularly. The Warden Team member or any authorized member of the GSF staff can inspect the room of any student in the hostel at any time. Hostel residents are supposed to keep I-cards with them and must present the same to any hostel or GSF authority whenever asked for. Students must always carry their Identity Cards with them.
- Residents should follow hierarchy in addressing their concerns. Warden In-charge of the concerned hostel is the right person for all matters. In next step they can approach the Chief Warden.
- All cases of illness should be reported to the Dean of students through concerned Warden In-charge/Warden.
- No student should keep any fire-arms, lethal weapons, poisonous things or intoxicants of any kind in the Hostel. Students must not take law into their own hands, but must report all disputes to the hostel Warden In- charge/Warden. All kinds of shouting, fighting, gambling, stealing, violet knocking, and maltreating or abusing is strictly prohibited. In such cases offender will be handed over to Police immediately.
- The resident shall have to vacate accommodation as and when asked for. All the residents shall vacate the hostel rooms before they leave for the annual vacation. Residents must make sure that, they take with them all their belongings from the room.
- No resident is allowed to engage a private servant or pet animals. For any assistance with cleanness, residents should see the Warden In – charge for a list of authorized servants.
- Hostel residents are supposed to take care of their health themselves. Student suffering from infectious disease has to leave for medical treatment to proper clinic/hospital or isolated place.
- Room furniture and electric fittings are required to be maintained by the residents in good condition. At the time of allotment of room and leaving the hostel for the vacation, every student must take-over and
Hand over, respectively, the hostel property carefully. Students should invariably vacate the hostel during vacation.
- In case of damage to any part of the hostel buildings, communal properties such as laundry, toilets ets, furniture, apparatus or other property of the GSF, caused by residents of the hostel, the loss shall be recovered from the persons identified as responsible for such damage. However, if the persons causing damage cannot be identified, then its repair/replacement or compensation cost shall be met by all students in that particular area. This shall be affected by deducting a certain portion of the caution money of student’ concerned to that to be used for that purpose. It is hoped that this will inculcate the spirit of responsibility and care for public property.
- Students should lock their room properly when they go out for bath, food etc. Each roommate must keep a key of the door lock of his/her room in case of double / triple/four bed accommodations.
- Individual cooking is not permitted. Residents are not allowed to cook anything in their rooms.
- Taunting in any form is a cognizable offence and severely punishable as per the Court directives leading to expulsion from the Hostel. The GSF administration may report incidents of taunting to the Police for taking appropriate action under the law.
- Each resident shall pay a deposit of 30,000 Tanzania shillings or (amount in Us dollar for foreign students to be inserted here) as precaution money.
- Penalty for violation of hostel rules will be decided by the hostel authorities considering the severity of the offense / violation of rules / act of indiscipline. Fine/ penalty amount may be deducted from the hostel deposit. If cumulative fine exceeds 100,000Tshs/…Us dollar per academic year, he / she will not be considered in merit for the next hostel admission.
- All guests are allowed to stay till 10:00 PM. Guests are not permitted to stay overnight in the room of the students. A resident keeping a guest without permission is liable to be punished.
- The hostel has no accommodation for couples and families. Students are not allowed to live with spouses of children in the hostel. Married student wish to stay with their families must make their own private off campus accommodation arrangements.
- Students are prohibited from giving shelter to any other student/outsider in the rooms. In case of any unauthorized shelter, the student will be liable to disciplinary action.
- Resident students are not permitted to invite any outside person to address any meeting in the hostel without written permission of the Dean (Student Welfare)/ GSF Executive Secretary.
- Light must be switched off when not in use. The use of electric heater, electric rod and other similar appliances are prohibited. Residents are warned against tempering with electric installation and for all electric repairs the electrician should be called in.
- Students, in their own interest, are advised not to keep excess cash or any valuables in their hostel rooms. They are cautioned to be very careful about safety of their belongings. They should close their rooms securely when they leave the room even for short periods or when they are sleeping. GSF shall not be responsible for the loss of such items due to theft or otherwise. However, in the case of theft, the matter should be immediately reported to the concerned Warden In- charge/Warden and Chief Security Officer (CSO) of the GSF.
- Students are prohibited from consuming alcoholic drinks, drugs, cigarettes, tobacco products or any other intoxicants inside the hostel or to enter the hostel after consuming the same. Any student found consuming such thing or in a drunken state in the hostel will render himself liable for strict disciplinary action, including expulsion/rustication from Hostel/GSF.
- All hostel residents are strictly prohibited from playing loud music, holding loudly prayer sessions or making any other kind of unnecessary noise. A violator of any of these rules shall be liable for punishment including losing all the rights to be a resident.
- Residents must ensure that rooms are neat and in order all the time. Residents are also advised to keep all in and outside environment neat and in order all the time. A violator of this rule shall be liable for punishment.