E-learning exploits interactive technologies and communication systems to improve the learning experience. E-learning is termed as a network-enabled transfer of skills and knowledge and the delivery of education is made to a large number of recipients at the same or different time.
At KCMUCo, the Directorate of ICT has a unit known as E-Learning and E-Resource, which administers all the e-learning activities at the institution.
There are different Learning Management Systems utilized parallel at KCMUCo Such as;
This system was adopted at KCMUCo in 2011 as LCMS+ from Duke University School of Medicine (DUSOM) with the aim of having a very robust system that would be easy to maintain, well understood, readily available, and most important the system that is designed to simplify the delivery of a complex medical curriculum. LEO is equipped with automated, personalized alerts to help make students and faculty aware of issues needing attention
It’s implementation started effectively in 2011 with 150 medical students, five faculty members, five courses and one specialist. The number kept on increasing annually; Presently, in the academic year 2019/2020, there are a total number of 1,486 students from different faculties, 110 faculty members, 108 courses and 2 specialists to maintain the system.
LEO is a full-featured education management system designed to simplify the delivery of the complex medical curriculum. Leo is the newly adopted name of the platform after the rebranding of the company name from LCMS+ to now Davinci Education.
Why LEO at KCMUCo.
1. A smooth process:
. All communications with students (including feedback on assignments and grades) are in one location.
. Reduced paperwork.
. Adding, removing, storing, and deleting course materials within the course space instead of in multiple locations.
2. Better grading:
. Electronic grade book allows students to have timely feedback
. Grade book can be accessed anywhere there is an Internet connection.
3. Increased student engagement:
. Students have 24/7 access to posted resources, announcements, grades, etc.
. Students can email from within the course space to fellow classmates.
. Students can view current information, such as links to websites, articles, videos, and other resources.
Visit LEO: https://lcms.kcmuco.ac.tz
Moodle is another LMS used at KCMUCO, it is an open-source learning platform designed to provide educators, administrators, and learners a secure and integrated system to create a personalized learning environment. KCMUCo adopted Moodle in 2014 as a backup system.
The Use of Moodle as an Online Examination System at KCMUCo.
Moodle has proven to be a successful system of deploying secured online examinations and it has been adopted and utilized as a back up system, for hosting online examinations at KCMUco.
Why Use Moodle for Online Exams?
1. Reliability and Accessibility exams can be done anytime from anywhere.
2. Safety and Privacy-only authorized and authenticated users can access the exam.
3. Secure exam environment.
4. IP-restricted –Only Certain Identified computers will be able to access the exam.
5. Each Exam has a unique password.
6. Time-based release of each exam result.
7. Exam can be automatically re-graded for the entire class if a mistake is discovered in a question or more possible answers are added to the system.
8. During the allowed test time, students can review answers.
9. Allowed more than one attempt during the exam period in case of any technical problem. eg power, hardware problem.
Visit Moodle: https://learn.kcmuco.ac.tz
LECTURIO This is an e-learning platform with an accumulation of different videos, articles, and quizzes for different topics from different medical disciplines such as Anatomy, Internal Medicine, and Surgery, etc. It was founded in 2008 in Berlin and is made up of people with very diverse backgrounds, but one common goal: to simplify and optimize online medical education and enable all users to reach their full
KCMUCo is fortunate enough to have access to this well-equipped platform from mid-2019.
Why LECTURIO at KCMUCo.
1. Users are able to access a vast variety of high-quality medical video lectures in a simple and smooth way
2. Users can test their knowledge and assess their learning progress by answering interactive quiz questions, which are more than 5,000 questions.
3. The system is very flexible all the contents can be accessed on smartphones and tablets.
4. Lecturio’s platform and learning content complement the learning needs of every medical student and make the learning process comfortable
5. Lecturio facilitates digital learning, which is a new age of learning methodology and a way to go for KCMUCo
6. It enables students to grasp concepts quickly at their own pace, which in turn connects theoretical and practical learning more easily
Visit LECTURIO: https://kcmuco.lecturio.com