The course which runs under the faculty of Rehabilitation is a 4-year program (for direct entrants) and 3 years for entrants under the equivalent qualifications.
Graduates of the course are expected to have professional competence in clinical practice in Prosthetics and Orthotics Science by offering a broad range of subjects that include Physical and Clinical assessment and examination of patients with neuro-muscular-skeletal deficiencies. This also includes prescription and design of component, fabrication, delivery and follow up of orthopedic appliances.
The broad objectives of the B.Sc. Degree course in Prosthetics and Orthotics are among others:
- To produce Prosthetists/Orthotists who are equipped with practical skills and knowledge suited to the needs of the physically disabled population within and outside Tanzania.
- To produce Prosthetists/Orthotists who have the knowledge, skills, and attitude of facing the challenges in the rapid advancement of science and technology and adapting it to suit the respective environmental, social, cultural and economic conditions.
- To produce Prosthetists/Orthotists who are equipped with the practical skills and knowledge required in developing designs and fabrication procedures of Orthopaedic appliances suitable for different types of disabilities.
- To Produce Prosthetists/Orthotists who can research the available resources to improve the quality, service delivery, and Community Based Rehabilitation.
- To produce Prosthetists/Orthotists who are motivated and capable of carrying out training and education activities in technical Orthopaedics.
- To produce individuals who can show understanding of the professional ethics and be able to appreciate the individual social, cultural, psychological and economic factors which may influence the process of rehabilitation.
- To produce Prosthetist/Orthotist who are capable of managing, coordinating and supervising the activities of the technical staff, i.e. Orthopaedic Technologists, Orthopaedic Technicians, Bench Workers, and other auxiliary Technicians.