To train suitable candidates to augment the national need for specialists in medical disciplines, which will improve the roles expected for Tanzanian Consultant Hospitals in teaching, service, and research.
Graduate in MMed Diagnostic Radiology is expected to be able to work independently as
a specialist in the field with an understanding of the scientific basis of high technology
to diagnose all conditions prevailing within and outside the country and have the
knowledge, skills, attitude, and ethics, related to the profession.
(e.g. Higher Certificate, Higher Diploma, Postgraduate Certificate, Postgraduate Diploma, and M.Phil. etc. depending on the level of qualification. Refer to UQF table 2). There will be only one final exit in this programme. The candidate will exit at UQF 9 and will be awarded an MMed Diagnostic Radiology degree, after passing all prescribed courses. The MMed will be conferred to candidates who meet all the KCMUCo of the Tumaini University Makumira requirements not more than 5 years after their admission to the MMed Diagnostic Radiology programme.
1.2 Programme expected learning outcomes and its associated teaching/learning activities and assessment criteria.
(learning outcomes should include knowledge, skills, and competencies as per UQF level descriptions. Refer to UQF table 4)
LEARNING OBJECTIVES for all blocks concerning organ systems.
After the lectures, the student shall be able to:
- Explain the normal human anatomy and common normal variants
- Describe the methods of radiological examination.
- Explain the radiological manifestations of congenital, inflammatory, metabolic,
traumatic, inflammatory and neoplastic, diseases.
- Explain the physical properties of x-rays and ultrasound waves.
- Identify the basic parts of X-ray equipment and their functions.
- Describe the function and use of the controls of x-ray machines.
- Explain the interaction of the waves with body tissues and the formation of diagnostic images.
- Explain the biological effects of ionizing radiation and the means of protection for patients, personnel, and the public.
- Analyze systematic, extensive, and cooperative knowledge of the Basic sciences as a whole and its links to various diseases.
- Recognize and describe abnormal findings to guide management of patients by the physician using the radiological examination
- Use radiological examination to arrive at a diagnosis or differential diagnosis of patients/clients.
- Make recommendations for further radiological examinations if they are thought to be necessary to clarify the problem.
- Interpret all Diagnostic Radiology investigations of various patients/clients conditions
- Write reports to the clinicians and communicate the information in a timely manner.
- To systematically gather information, analyze, interpretation of ideas concepts, and data from different sources including scholarly journals
- To have specialized skills required for continuous professional development and use of established techniques to perform all Diagnostic Radiology
- To use their knowledge and skills in Diagnostic radiology in the systematic and critical way in identifying complex problems, demonstrating some creativity in formulating, and Appling solutions in managing patients
- Identify community Diagnostic radiology needs in the community and propose
appropriate scientific interventions.
- Communicate the results of their Diagnostic radiology study and other scientific work accurately and reliably using the full range of principles governing medical research.